Saturday, October 5, 2013

Squeeze machine

Do you know what really excites me? Learning something new. And there is nothing more exciting to me than learning something new from one of my students. My graduate students this semester are simply amazing. An eclectic crowd of outspoken, intelligent adults all with a similar goal of teaching. This past week we had amazing conversations about students with social-emotional and behavior disorders. Several students had opposite opinions on student expectations and accommodating for student need. Two students in particular got quite emotional while discussing students with anxiety disorder, and their needs in the classroom. There are times, as professional adults when we simply need to agree that its ok to disagree.

While grading their UDL assignments, I had the pleasure of reading one lesson plan that proposed introducing the characteristics of autism to a special education 4th grade classroom. The lesson plan included showing video of Temple's "squeeze machine". I was so curious, that I had to go to Utube and explore this. If this lesson hooked me like that, can you imagine how excited these fourth grade students will be? What a lucky class! I've included a Temple Grandin utube link for you other curious folks out there.
   Temple Grandin is an amazing person. She is the first autistic person to have written an autobiiography describing what autism is like. She is renowned for her ability to allow us into an autistic persons brain. Her first film/book Thinking In Pictures is a premiere piece of educational work as well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment